Tuesday, February 27, 2007

I've Been Searching for the Right Word for Harper

I've had this feeling for a while now that there was some term to describe Harper's ideology and approach. I rejected a number of words as too extreme - you can imagine some of them I'm sure. Then I was channel flicking and that Edward R. Morrow film was on and I watched a McCarthy clip and I realized that that's what's been hovering in the back of my mind. McCarthy was focussed only on what and who he was against, he was delusional in his self-righteousness, he was a kind of uni-dimensional person with no compassion for individual human beings and the effects of his actions on their lives. He took disparate bits and pieces of information, or made them up, then twisted them, exagerated them to the point of absurdity and attacked individuals with them. Maybe 'McCarthyism' isn't the perfect word but it's an interesting one.

1 Comments:

Blogger loraine lamontagne said...

Fully agree. However, McCarthy professed loving his country and serving his nation while Harper is into a continental culture? That doesn't sound American - or McCarthyist. Worse than Lévesque.

2:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home